What is the NDSS?
The National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS) is an initiative of the Australian Government administered with the assistance of Diabetes Australia. NDSS delivers subsidised products, information and support services to people with diabetes across Australia. The Scheme started in 1987 and is funded by the Australian Government. Diabetes Australia assists to administer the Scheme on behalf of the Government and Healthy Living NT is the NT Agent for the NDSS.
Helping you manage your diabetes
The NDSS aims to enhance the capacity of people with diabetes to understand and self-manage their life with diabetes. It also supports people with diabetes by providing timely, reliable and affordable access to support services and products. Registration with the NDSS is free and open to all Australians who are diagnosed with diabetes.
The NDSS provides a range of services to help you manage your diabetes. These include an Infoline 1300 136 588 for advice on diabetes management, subsidised diabetes-related products and a range of support programs to help you learn more about managing your diabetes.
What products are available under the NDSS?
The NDSS gives you access to a large range of subsidised products that help you to affordably self-manage your diabetes. These products include:
- subsidised blood glucose testing strips
- subsidised urine testing strips
- free insulin syringes and pen needles (if you require insulin or an approved non-insulin injectable medications)
- subsidised insulin pump consumables (for approved persons with type 1 diabetes and gestational diabetes)
- access to Continuous Glucose Monitoring products.
You do not need a prescription from your doctor to purchase products through the NDSS. Medications (including insulin) are not available through the NDSS, but are subsidised under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS).
How do I register for the NDSS?
You are able to register if you:
- live in Australia or are visiting from a country with which Australia has a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement on an applicable visa (as outlined below)
- have been confirmed as having any type of diabetes by a doctor, endocrinologist, credentialled diabetes educator or registered nurse practitioner, or have some other serious medical condition requiring regular monitoring of blood glucose levels, and
- hold (or are eligible to hold) a Medicare card or Department of Veterans’ Affairs card.
Please click on the following links for relevant NDSS forms:
- NDSS Registration Form
- NDSS Bulk Registration Form for Indigenous Australians
- NDSS Change of Medication Form
- NDSS Change of Details Form
- Test Strip Six Month Approval
- Insulin Pump Consumables Approval Form
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring Consumables
There are five ways to purchase NDSS products;
- Pharmacy Access Points throughout the Northern Territory (link to Map)
- Healthy Living NT Access Point at Tiwi or Alice Springs (link to Map)
- Shop online
- By phone 08 8927 8488, fax 08 8927 8515 or mail PO Box 40113, Casuarina NT 0811;
- Remote Indigenous Health Clinics (special arrangements apply).
Contact the NDSS
Helpline 1300 136 588
Fax 1300 536 953